Sunday 9 August 2009

Kiss the Girls by James Patterson


For a start, this book was published in 1995 and adapted into silver screen by 1997. I was really young during that time; hence I didn't get to read the book when it was launched :-P

My friend passed me this book which she received from someone else; hence the bad condition of the book :-

I've never seen the movie but I hope the adaptation would be as close as possible to the book because truth to be told, James Patterson did a very good job in criminal profiling. Descriptions of the criminals and their (notice the usage of plural term here) modus operandi are detailed and exhaustive from victim selection up till the hideout descriptions.

In this book, we're brought face-to-face with 2 competing psychopaths trying to establish their gruesome reputation with terrible after-effects. As reader, we're transformed into an unwilling accomplice as descriptions of crimes are told from the murderer's point of view; which is a rather refreshing turn for criminal novels.

As veteran book writer, James smartly spaced all the actions with sufficient breather in between. I can't seem to put the book down unless I've finished one whole chapter irrespective of the time and location; which explains the outright appeal of the book.

Ending part is too fast for my liking and the closure is equally abrupt. However, I can't pinpoint any flaw on such abrupt closure as long winded ones will spoil the overall flow of the storyline.

Personal rating: 7 out of 10 (veteran writer; no other comments necessary :-))

Cons:
1) Closure of the novel is too fast and abrupt for my liking

Pros:
1) Sufficient breather in between all the actions
2) Criminal profiling and very intense point-of-view descriptions on victim selection

No comments:

Post a Comment