Saturday 4 August 2012

Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom


"Maybe it was a grandparent, or a teacher, or a colleague. Someone older, patient and wise, who understood you when you see the world as a more profound place, gave you sound advice to help you make your way through it."

I read this book years ago (it has turned yellow inside out mind you) and on this very night, I "rediscovered" this book and speed read through it.

In this novel, Mitch met up with his professor; Morrie Schwartz, who've been diagnosed with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), Lou Gehrig's disease. And thus began "the final thesis" in which Mitch will spend almost every Tuesdays with his beloved professor, chatting, dissecting meaning of life and most of all, spending time together; talking about everything under the sun and sometimes, nothing at all.

Literally taking notes of the time they spent together before Morrie's final breath. All these so called "notes" will then culminate to be bounded into this book which I now placed on my lap as I typed this review.

I'm sure the review sounded flat but don't be fooled by such bad review coming from me. It feels different reading the same novel back then compared to now.. especially when personal loss mimic the novel's flow... And I hate to say this but tears began to gather at the edge of my eyes.

This book is really really good. I know I might sound biased in this context but trust me, things will definitely be different when there's paradigm shift in your life. I like the quote at the end of the book:

"My father moved through theys of we, singing each new leaf out of each tree (and every child was sure that spring danced when she heard my father sing)..."

-A poem by E. E. Cummings-

Personal rating: 10 out of 10

Cons:
1) N/A

Pros:
1) N/A

No comments:

Post a Comment