Wednesday 2 June 2010

The Pilgrimage by Paulo Coelho



*CAUTION: Drama King “hijacked” the body of this normally sensible; hot-blooded; Homo sapiens of male species*

*NOTE: The following descriptions have been dramatized for greater effect, so throw a pinch of salt over your shoulder before you read the following book review*

Countdown begins...

*toot* FIVE...
*toot* FOUR...
*toot* THREE...
*toot* TWO...
*toot* ONE...
aaaaaannnd… ACTION

Aiyoooo!!!! Another book about self discovery!!.. I don’t want I don’t want I don’t want!!!...

In this book entitled “The Pilgrimage by Paulo Coelho”; we’re introduced to the first hand experience gained by the acclaimed Brazilian author Paulo Coelho and his road towards self discovery!

BING!

Another self discovery book?!

Wait a minute, this is not just another book, this is Paulo’s first book. His numero uno masterpiece.
But since this is a self discovery book, what else can you glean from the book besides discovering yourself?

Don’t underestimate this self discovery book because this book teaches you exercise programs as well…
Yes ladies and gentlemen, besides discovering yourself, you get free exercise programs :-) (I’m not joking here… to be explained later :-P)

I’m deviating far from the book review :-P

Well, this is the first book from Paulo, in which he wrote about his journey towards self discovery.
It is basically his personal diary on his pilgrimage road trip between France and Spain after being told by his MASTER (ala MASTER YODA), that he has more to learn about life. I assume the conversation goes like this:

Paulo: Master, finally I’ve finished my learning. Can I go now?
Master: No Paulo, you still have a long way to go.
Paulo: Why Master? What should I do?
Master: Silence Paulo! You talk too much! Listen to me. Go tag along with one mentor. Listen to his advice for he will help you towards achieving your self discovery.
Paulo: Yes Master. Thank you for your guidance and advice.
*He bows took his knapsack and left the place*

He then went on to tag himself with his mentor, who told him to listen to him no matter what. No matter what what? I don’t know what’s what in this what what.

So in this journey of listening to his mentor no matter what, he encounters his own demon, his own fear, developed his own exercise program and transformed himself to a person who supposedly understands about life.

I think my review is boring! Yes, it is boring... as boring as this book!

This book is so boring that I had to watch Braveheart just to uplift my mood…
It is only with cries of FREEDOMMMMMM by William Wallace that I managed to break the spell.

Anyway, boredom is only part of the “torture” of reading this book. This book is filled with so many quirky advices that I almost mistook Paulo as Dr Phil :-P

In fact, I was so tempted to put matchstick between my eyelids to keep my eyes open and had to super-speed read thru this book!

On the hindsight, no need to waste your money to join gym membership for some yoga programs. By buying this book, you get the following:

1. Read other people’s self discovery and pretend that it uplift you to another realm or experience a total paradigm shift.
2. Quirky advise which sounded sinisterly like your buddies when they’re loaded with booze.
3. Best of all, EXERCISE PROGRAMS!

If you don’t believe me, I dare you to go and buy this book.

Inhale… Exhale… Inhale… Exhale…

See, this is NOT… I repeat... NOT A BAD BOOK…
N-O-T (space) A (space) B-A-D (space) B-O-O-K


Personal rating: What rating?

Cons:
1) What cons?

Pros:
1) What pros?

2 comments:

  1. Yours is one of the most unique and interesting book review blog. Your review got me roaring in laughter early in the morning. Not only that I am actually tempted to buy the book :P. Kudos, keep up the wits! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey GracieMei, thanks for such an uplifting comment.. I'm glad the review lightened up your day :-) thank u thank u thank u...

    Cordially,
    Mr Thank You :-)

    ReplyDelete