Tuesday 13 October 2009

The Star newspaper - Opinion section - Living the true meaning of Merdeka


COMMENTS by our Deputy Prime Minister as quoted in your report “Sincere friendship leads to unity” on Aug 18 struck the right chord at the right time.

Aug 31 is around the corner yet again and despite countless joint celebrations, open houses and revelry in the name of national unity, we miss the real intention behind those festivities.

We have heard countless times over the mass media that we, the young generation, do not understand the true meaning of Merdeka any more. While it might be partly true, the blame should not be one-sided at all.

In fact, the meaning of Merdeka has warped into a miasma of ideals and perspectives with no right or wrong answers. Some political leaders have branded those who do not fly the flag during Merdeka celebrations as unpatriotic. To me, the meaning of Merdeka should come from the heart and not from action alone. I can vouch that even though I do not fly the national flags on my car or in front of my house during the National Day, I am a true Malaysian at heart.

I proudly declare I am a Malaysian when I am overseas. My closest friends are not confined to one race or religion. We have been friends since childhood, treat each other’s family with great respect and we can sit together to discuss any issue – sensitive or otherwise – with open hearts and great understanding.

Our DPM said it very clearly when he urged all of us to forge meaningful friendships with each other regardless of race and religion. Such a friendship needs to be nurtured from young.

CIPLAK,
Penang.

Published on: Thursday August 20, 2009


ORIGINAL VERSION

UNITY THROUGH FRIENDSHIP

Comments by DPM in the article entitled “Sincere friendship lead to unity”; published on 18 August 2009 is apt and struck the right chord at the right time. 31 August is around the corner yet again and despite countless joint celebrations, open houses and revelry in the name of national unity, we missed the real intention behind those festivities.

We heard countless times over mass media that we, the young generation does not understand the true meaning of “MERDEKA” anymore. While it might be half truth, the blame should not be one sided at all. In fact, the meaning of Merdeka has warped into miasma of ideals from countless opinions and perspectives with no right or wrong answers. It was not long ago that some politician dictated that those who did not fly the Malaysian flags during Merdeka celebration are deemed unpatriotic. To me, the meaning of Merdeka should come from the heart and not from action alone.

I can vouch that despite not putting up flags on my car or in front of my house during the National Day, I am a true Malaysian at heart. I pronounced my country’s name proudly when asked about my nationality when I was abroad. My closest friends are neither confined to one race nor religion. We spent great times together from childhood onwards; treat each other’s family with great respect and we can even sit together to discuss about any issues; sensitive or otherwise with open hearts and great understanding.

To achieve this state is not easy and our DPM has stated this explicitly in his speech when he urged all of us to strike up meaningful friendships with each other without regard for race and religion. To me, advice will remain as it is without effort from each and every one of us. The hurdle to foster such friendship is on personal level and need to be nurtured from young onwards.

To all my closest friends I called “machas” and “brothers”.

HAPPY NATIONAL DAY and HAPPY MERDEKA!!

CIPLAK,
Penang.

No comments:

Post a Comment