Tuesday 13 October 2009

The Star newspaper - Opinion section - Only fair that stores wrap books in plastic

(I didn't keep the ORIGINAL version)

I REFER to “Only country to wrap books in plastic?” (The Star, July 22). It seems almost noble if we allow shoppers to browse through books and not seal them in plastic.

Much as I love to enter bookstores that do not seal their books, I also understand the reason behind this. Bookstores are a business, and it is also an undeniable fact that no one wants to buy an old and crumpled book.

I have seen many instances where readers bend books as if they’re reading a newspaper only to put it aside if they like what they read and pick up a new, sealed book.

I am an avid reader and I keep my books in good condition. So, to see the public treating books this way is almost sacrilegious.

As such, I think bookstores are doing the right thing to seal their books. Besides, we can always request assistance from the salesperson in the store at any time.

CIPLAK,
Jelutong, Penang.

Published on: Thursday July 23, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment