Friday 9 April 2010

The Valkyries by Paulo Coelho


Paulo Coelho. The famous writer the world loves and most well known for his book entitled “The Alchemist”. I have to admit that I was a compulsive book buyer when I first started. I tend to buy all books from one writer at one go. BIG MISTAKE :-(

I’ve learnt my lesson the hard way; so ladies and gentlemen, please do not buy books compulsively (especially from one writer at one go) because writers are like engineers too… they have “mood” when they work.. opppsss... write. :-P

Therefore, some of the novels might be appealing while others would be appalling (depending on their mood :-P). One such novel which unfortunately fell in the latter category is entitled “The Valkyries by Paulo Coelho”.

Of all the books from Paulo, I like this THE LEAST! I wouldn’t want to divulge on the details but as per the summary at the back of the book, which reads as follow:

Why do we destroy the things we love most? This is the question Paulo Coelho faces as he confronts his past. On a forty-day quest into the starkly beautiful and sometimes dangerous Mojave Desert, Paulo and his wife, Cristina, encounter the Valkyries, strange warrior women who travel the desert on motorcycles.

Great promise nonetheless. But as I read thru the book, I came to the realization that this is a book about Paulo’s journey towards self discovery! I was so disappointed with my book selection that I had to force myself to slug thru the book.

Imagine reading thru the book about something so detached from your consciousness that there is no linkage whatsoever.

I kept cursing myself that I’ve wasted my blood & sweat money over another book which I can’t enjoy in the first place.

If someone were to tell me to look into my soul and evaluate my past, present and future after reading this book, I would advise the person to go back, drink some wine (or hot milk or whatever drink you prefer la..), take a good rest and talk to me tomorrow. :-)


Personal rating: 4 out of 10 (for the effort to record his journey of self discovery)

Cons:
1)What is there to glean from especially if the book is about another person’s self discovery? To learn from his/her experience? If the answer is YES, then I would suggest you (yes, you who read this review) to talk to the elders and learn a thing or two from them from first hand point of view.

Pros:
1) N/A

No comments:

Post a Comment