Monday 12 April 2010

Vernon God Little by DBC Pierre


What a f*cken sh*tcase book. The problem with this f*cken book is that it is filled with so many f*cking words in its f*cking paragraphs that I think it should be renamed as “The Greatest F*cken Book” ever.
This book is so thoroughly laced with profanities that it should be placed behind bars lest the minors read it.

Despite these f*cken profanities (pardon me but I’m getting hooked by the sound of it now :-P), it emerged as a surprise winner for the Man Booker Award 2003. Surprise surprise indeed :-)

After such an interesting opening, let us move on to the boring part of the book review; which is the book review itself. Hey, I didn’t say book review is cool & fun... in fact, it is hard to do you know... sob sob sob (Drama King took over again :-P)

What can I say about this book? Hmmm… let me think… ummm… (Give me some time here, I’m trying to sound intelligent now :-D)

Told from Vernon’s point of view, this book is about his misadventure starting from the small town of Martirio (where he lives with his widowed mother). Vernon’s friend, Jesus Navarro killed his schoolmates before turning the gun on himself. As for Vernon, he is the unfortunate soul to shoulder the dishonorable title of a scapegoat in a town lusting for revenge and retribution. Fearing for his life, he goes on a run to Mexico only to be caught by the police.

With this fact, his “fate” as a fugitive and accessory to murder is sealed and his lifestyle came under intense public scrutiny often with hilarious effects and anecdotes.

After an intense and highly charged court prosecution; when it seems that all hope is lost (here’s the spoiler :-P); he is saved by none other than the sh*t he shat when the murder happened. Yes, you heard that right, they found the class paper he used to wipe his a$$ and prove without reasonable doubt that he has a solid alibi, thus ending the speculation that he’s the accessory for the killings.

So what do I think about this book? Truthfully? Please read on then :-)

Besides being filled to the brim with profanities (as mentioned earlier), this book is laced with even more Texas jargons and slang that reading without stumbling (or re-read) seems impossible.
The flow of the story is not “flow-y” enough to be enjoyed. Think of it like driving a car with chocked carburetor or clogged fuel injectors.
In fact, I have difficulties finishing this book despite it getting great reviews (not to mention accolades by being crowned the Man Booker Winner for 2003).

So without mincing my words, I HATE this book!

It is supposed to be a satire about everything and anything American but the joke about killing your classmate touches on raw nerves.
In my opinion, the satire falls flat and depiction of the dumb-dumb Vernon who supposedly represents the angst ridden youth of America is so out of tune and thoroughly misguided.
As I read this book, I could feel my hatred growing for such an obnoxious and downright stupid character of Vernon.
If these facts did not deter you from reading this f*ucken book, I don’t know what else would. However, if you insist on buying this f*ucken book, please read thru the front, mid and end section before you part with your hard earned money.


Personal rating: 4 out of 10

Cons:
1)I thought the review is filled with negativity? Still not enough to deter you from buying it? :-P


Pros:
1) What is good about the book? Hmmm… perhaps the boldness of DBC Pierre of taking such a topic and satirised it to his whims and fancies.

No comments:

Post a Comment