Tuesday 9 March 2010

Hannibal Pride of Carthage by David Anthony Durham


I can’t believe that I’m finally penning my review on this book after years of neglect. The book is slightly yellowish due to environmental exposure. In due time (perhaps after hundreds of years); this book will cease to exist altogether. You might perhaps think what the hell am I talking about here :-) so, let me explain (I sure love to explain and come up with excuses...hehe)

The thing about this book is that it left me with such a profound thought that I can’t help but to marvel at how thorough the Romans are in erasing the very bit of history related to the Carthaginians.

This book is a fiction loosely based on the life of Hannibal Barca; one of the world’s greatest commanders (not Hannibal Lecter; the human steak eater mind you). The Barca family lived during the time when war is the only constant thing in an ever shifting landscape of military supremacy.

Most of the historical novels I’ve read tend to favour the big wigs as the centerpiece. However, with this book, we’re introduced even to the minnows and how the war affected their families, friends and their rise and fall within the war party led by their enigmatic leader; Hannibal Barca.

Hannibal stamped his presence in the face of history by commanding joint forces of various races and beasts, regions and states over the Alps in his attempt to destroy the infant Roman Republic.
He managed to win wars along the way until he was back-stabbed by his own empire’s refusal to commit more resources to complete the annihilation of the Romans once and for all.

The author wrote this book with such clarity that I can “feel” the anticipation before and after the war; even on the way they rouse themselves to face a certain death. Gore and glory intermingle in their quest to remain victorious over their foes.

Carthage’s eventual downfall led to the complete destruction of the very trace of their civilization by the Romans, which brings us back to the reality of the first paragraph.

In other words, how did Hannibal’s name survived through the ages?

We have a saying in Malaysian language (peribahasa Bahasa Malaysia):

Kalau gajah mati meninggalkan gading, harimau mati meninggalkan belang, manusia mati meninggalkan nama

Don’t worry, I will translate it word-by-word (without grammar correction… just for the sake of it :-P)

If elephant die leaves tusks, tiger die leaves stripes, human die leaves name” (grammatically incorrect version)

P/S: There’s unconfirmed rumour that Hannibal’s quest will be adapted into silver screen acted by Vin Diesel... I hope it will come true… yahoo!


Personal rating: 8 out of 10

Cons:
1) It would be a better experience if anyone who bought this book has some basic knowledge on the ancient warfare.

Pros:
1) Realistic point-of-view. It is like you’re looking through the warrior’s own eyes. The anticipation, the pain, the hunger and the eventual release via death.
2) Refer to the review or read the book itself :-)

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the kind words. Very glad to hear you enjoyed the book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi David,

    I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw your comment in my blog..!!

    It's so surreal because I could never imagine that a prolific and well known writer like you will even read a humble blog like mine.

    Thank you very much for giving me the honour and for gracing my blog.

    You definitely made my day! (and my friend's too) ;-)

    Thank u thank u thank u

    P/s: I'm still on cloud 9...hahaha...

    ReplyDelete