Tuesday 30 March 2010

Lost in translation: The Lovely Bones became The Broken Bones


Caution: Drama King took over the normally sensible gentleman today :-)

Ladies and gentlemen, I have watched the movie purportedly adapted from the book The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold.
I practically cried (not openly la of course.. :-P) when I watched The Lovely Bones.. In fact, I was practically on the edge of being hysterical over the movie!

It is in short; an utterly, completely, grossly, starkly, egregiously RUBBISH MOVIE.

Watching the movie breaks my heart. I kept wondering how can someone twisted the storyline so badly that it felt like they’ve re-wrote the whole book altogether.
I can’t even explain the magnitude of disappointment rushing thru my veins as I watched the movie; comparing the images captured via my eyes with the make-believe images in my brain gleaned from the book.

Nothing’s right from the start and I was so tempted to stop watching halfway thru the movie but my persistence and being an ever-optimistic person; I braved on.
Up till the end, I thought they will at least let Mr. Harvey die the “right way (as in the book)” but NOOOOOO… they even took that “comfort” away and twisted that last itsy-bitsy part.

I think my aversion on book to silver screen adaptation is rightly justified and concretely cemented after watching this movie.

To those who plan to watch this movie, please don’t read the book before or even after the movie.
Or better still, read the book and discard the intention to watch the movie altogether.

As what my dear friend quoted aptly:

Lost in translation: The Lovely Bones became The Broken Bones

P/s: At least they selected really good and convincing actors and actresses for this movie. Kudos to them.

1 comment:

  1. hi 家瑩,
    thanks for the comment :-)
    do check back often then..

    ReplyDelete